Categories
About

Hunter College Studying Abroad

I’m a person who enjoys traveling a lot. Even though I haven’t had many opportunities to do so, I enjoyed the trips I’ve had. Therefore, it is intriguing that Hunter College offers a service where I can travel and study simultaneously. On a positive note, I gathered a few reasons why studying abroad might be a good option. First, we will gain a new perspective, develop confidence, and build cross-cultural skills. I’m mostly intrigued by the programs and financial aid Hunter offers. Therefore, I decided to dig deeper into Studying abroad to understand better and help other students with my investigation. 

To begin my investigation, one great resource was browsing the Hunter College Studying Abroad webpage. I started by reading the requirements to know if I was eligible. The main conditions I should highlight are being 18 years old, completing at least two semesters, and possessing a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA. There would also be other requirements depending on your program of choice. These options will be available on the program pages above scholarships and finance. It reads semester exchanges. There were also many other helpful tools for students to have a head start on the steps to follow. Something useful for me was the planning timeline, which helped me organize my thoughts better.

Having steps to guide me through the process is the best way to start. Besides that, it was very explicit about financial aid, scholarship expenses, etc. After researching programs, scheduling an appointment with an advisor is essential. This way, you can clarify your thoughts and ask as many questions as needed. Some questions you might consider asking are:

• What terms work best for you?
  • What courses would you take abroad?
  • How does studying abroad fit into your academic plan?
  • What classes can I take abroad that apply to my degree at Hunter?

Another helpful resource is to sign up for a virtual Study Abroad 101 info session. An effective way to do so is to search @hunter_edabroad on Instagram.

On the description, you will see a link; once you click it, you will find many other helpful links according to your needs.

I viewed the Hunter College Study Abroad 101 webinar on YouTube for my investigation. In the video, we are introduced to the director of education abroad, Sarah Carver, and a staff associate, Emma Heineman. They gave me a more amplified explanation, including program options, affording your study abroad, and how to apply.

First, I will discuss the program options and explain the two parts of the application process. The first part consists of filling out an application to verify you meet all the eligibility requirements. The next step would be to apply to the specific program that is your top choice. 

The two programs that Hunter offers are a semester exchange during fall and spring with partnered universities around the world, a few of which include the following countries: Australia, UK, Japan, Spain, The Netherlands, and Germany. Another option is the faculty-led programs during winter and summer, which are approximately three weeks. Besides those two options, we can include CUNY and SUNY programs. Beyond that, we have affiliated program partners such as USAC, CIEE, CIS, IES, and ICDS; almost all have short-term, both semesters or a full academic year.

Moving on to choosing a program. It may be stressful trying to figure out the right program, having many options. To make it easier, consider asking the following questions:

• Does the program offer classes that you can transfer back into Hunter?
  • Do you meet all the requirements?
  • What options does that program offer me?
  • How long are you planning on staying?
  • What housing option do you prefer?

The topic that most students stress about, including myself, is looking to afford to study abroad. A good way to start is by looking at the financial aid you have already received. Once that’s done, the next question to be answered will be: How will you cover the difference? Here are the various scholarship options that you can apply to. Hunter/ Cuny scholarships, affiliated/ external scholarships.

While scrolling through Hunters Studying Abroad on Instagram, I was interested in a post of a past Hunter student named Rohan. Rohan was a sophomore at Hunter College when she decided to study abroad in Costa Rica. Her program of choice was ICDS, which is part of the affiliated programs. For her, this experience was the best decision ever made. Her host family and she became very attached and still communicate anything interesting that happens in their lives. Rohan acknowledges that “The three weeks we spent at Finca la Flor were the best three weeks of my life that I got to spend with some of the best people I’ve ever met, and I don’t think I ever would have found it or gotten to go if it hadn’t been for ICDS!”

Works Cited

“Education Abroad.” Hunter, 2023, Accessed 29 September 2023. https://hunter.cuny.edu/students/opportunities/study-abroad/.

“Hunter College Study Abroad 101 webinar.” YouTube, uploaded by Education Abroad, 7 September 2022, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj1KD8SKDo0&t=1445s