Categories
Hunter College Learning Centers

The Dolciani Mathematics Learning Center

Image that shows students seated in tables in the Dolciani Math Learning Center on the 7th floor of the East Building.
7th floor of the Dolciani Mathematics Learning Center (Hunter College Cooperman Library)

Amidst all of Hunter College’s educational centers in areas ranging from science to foreign language lies the Mary P. Dolciani mathematics learning center (DMLC). The DMLC is located on the 7th floor library of the East Building in Hunter College’s 68th campus. The DMLC offers flexible hours for both online and in-person support and tutoring. The center is open Monday through Thursday from 8:30am-3:00pm, and Friday from 8:30am-12:00pm. DMLC offers tutoring in any mathematics or statistics course offered at Hunter. If you prefer watching videos or completing practice problems to assess your math learning, the DMLC offers multimedia materials and online workshops on their website, free and available for all Hunter students.

As a freshman I decided to take advantage of Hunter’s in-person tutoring before my first statistics test. To sign up for small group tutoring I made an appointment through the Navigate mobile app. I selected “schedule an appointment,” then selected the type of assistance I wanted and what mathematics course I was enrolled in. From there a list of available dates and times were shown for me to choose from. Once I selected a time suitable for myself, I had the choice whether to meet with a tutor in person or online, (since there may not always be tutoring time slots that are suitable for you, it is best to schedule an appointment as soon as possible before spots are taken). I chose in-person tutoring, but if online tutoring would be more convenient to you, you’d follow the same steps but click on “online tutoring” and afterwards you’ll receive a Zoom link to meet with your tutor on Zoom. (Tutoring – Hunter College). I would definitely recommend in person tutoring because it helped me brush up on topics I hadn’t understood during class and because of this service I was able to earn a good score on my exam. 

If you feel strongly suited in any math or statistics course, you may want to consider a part-time position at the DMLC. The center offers a variety of part-time positions during the fall and spring semesters. A test is required for each set of courses to assess your mathematical abilities and determine what areas you are qualified in to be able to tutor students (Employment – Hunter College). The tutor application can be found in the employment subheading on the DMLC’s website.

The Dolciani mathematics learning center offers Hunter students a vast amount of resources to be able to expand their math knowledge. Their online and in-person services allow anyone to be able to reach out for additional support at their convenience. Taking advantage of the center’s services, listed on their website, and frequently attending tutoring will help you feel prepared and confident in your math abilities so you can start off the semester on the right foot.